As we trekked to the peak of a hill this late afternoon, some thoughts rushed to me which I wanted to capture as I behold a scenic glory through the nice mountain-top view. The thought was that “No one can dethrone God, and no one can snatch away His glory.”
This is a life-energizing thought to me. I mean, no one, and in fact no one could ever say to Him “I have taken away Your fame, I have destroyed Your glory, I have defeated You!” No one in heaven, or earth or hell could ever say that to God’s face. He is seated above His throne, high and lifted up, He is above all things, the Supreme One, the Almighty One. In short, He is God. And this is an ever-comforting truth to those who are His.
This was the goal of Satan, to “dethrone God.” To be more sovereign than God, to be autonomous, to be the highest, to be the best, to be the greatest (Isaiah 14:12-14). In fact, this is the first sin, the mother of all sins .
This truth that no matter how the world looks so evil, or no matter how creation looks so beautiful, or how the very things around us appear so trivial, the staggering thought that captivates me is still the supremacy of Christ in all things… His glory is the goal of everything. He is seated at the right hand of God, He is all in all- and that’s more than enough.
What amazes me more is that, the most evil crime that was ever committed in human history has its utmost goal of glorifying God. Wait! What!? Did you say, the most evil? For God’s glory? Is God some kind of a One who takes pleasure in making others suffer? Well here are three things about that:
- The ONLY unfair crime in the whole of history is the murder of the ONE AND ONLY innocent man. There is only one innocent who ever lived in this world, but He was murdered. He is the only One who was punished beyond the fact that He never sinned. If ever one of us dies, it’s because we simply deserve to die. Why? That’s a payment of our sin.
If you are still alive, you are supposed to wonder. Why wonder? Because we are supposed to die a long time ago. The moment we have sinned, or those times you enjoyed that drinking party, or cursed, or lied, or cheated, or gossiped… And why not? Because the “wages of sin is death.” (Romans 3:23) And if not for God’s mercy, you and I were dead a long time ago. The question should not be “Why did he die? Why do we suffer?…” We have no right to question since we reap what we sow. What we are supposed to ask is “Why are we still alive?” “Why we still DO NOT REAP what we sow?”
- Second, God took pleasure in the death of His Son. God was happy to see him suffer. Isaiah 53:10-11 clearly and graphically depicted this that God was “pleased to bruise him…” His voice also uttered, “this is my beloved Son of whom I am well pleased.” And in his death, Christ “commended” His spirit to His Father just like a son shows off his basketball skills to his proud daddy (Luke 23:46).
- God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked. He wants them to be warned, He wants them to know He is God. Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel? (Ezekiel 33:11)
These truths staggers me how can these things happen in a very intricate manner. And it just settles me as I think of the wisdom that He has, the “depths of the riches of His wisdom” (Romans 11:33)
“at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,” Philippians 2;10
Can the tragedies of life, or your weaknesses, or evil, or the pathetic cries of humanity steal the glory of God? Can His majesty be diminished by mere mortal and incapacitated human beings? or limited angels? Who are we that can say to Him “i’m sorry for you Lord…? I pity you? Is God prone to errors like man?
God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? Numbers 23:19
What is man except he be dust and ashes? Could God ever say at once in eternity “O my glory faded because of one man’s wrong doing!” At the glory of His eternal abode, at the greatness of His kingdom, could God have compromised His beauty in exchange for man’s wrongdoings? No, but in all things, He purposes that His glory is still the goal. Go and destroy your life, but don’t you ever think that you will fade God’s glory over your wasted life. Even in His own suffering, even in the most brutal crime committed, His Glory is the Goal. So why not seek for this goal also?
It may be hard for some to digest first, or to those who are still blind who can’t yet understand and live, but the very passion of God is His Glory. God is a God-centered God. His reputation, His Name is His utmost concern.
‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: It is not for your sake, people of Israel, that I am going to do these things, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have gone. Ezekiel 36:22
This is a list of His deeds which has the sole purpose of glorifying Himself, this is, in Latin, “Soli Deo Gloria.”
- He created the universe
- He created man
- He saved Noah’s family
- He formed Israel
- He judged nations
- He rained fire to Sodom and Gomorrah
- He sent His Son
- He crushed His Son
- He built His church
- He called prophets, kings,, apostles, pastors etc.
- He establishes His kingdom
- He empowers Christians
- He will come back again
All of these in the list and those that are not here, everything is for Him. And in seeking Him, we find our true rest, our long-awaited satisfaction, our long search for meaning, and happiness, and peace, and fulfilment.
I tremble at this thought, and at the same time, I rejoice in it. And this should also be your reason for living, this should be what you seek for in your life. Since this is the very goal of God, this should be your very goal too. “Seek ye first the kindgom…” To seek His kingdom, will also give your greatest need. To give everything to Him, means having everything. To be nothing, is to have everything- and this all, are for the FAME OF A NAME- the name Jesus.
What is your goal?
I help people avail the best real estate investments in Bacolod City that fit their profile, budget and goals in life. They could be:
- Bacolod Condos (High end) such as Megaworld, Rockwell Land, among others
- Bacolod Condos (Affordable) such as Mesavirre
- Executive House and Lots such as Fountain Grove, Forbes Hill, Casa Mira
- Commercial Lots in Bacolod City
- Mountain lots in Don Salvador and other Negros listings
- Affordable Housing such as East Homes
- Beach Lots
Contact me for a quotation or tour
I am also a licensed financial advisor, Bacolod City blogger and digital marketing professional.